Matagamon Dam, constructed in 1941 is a
concrete structure, 218 feet long and 30 feet high. It was built to replace
a timber crib structure constructed in 1880's. Located on the outlet of
Grand Lake Matagamon, which includes 1st and 2nd Lakes, with a total
impoundment of 4200 acres and a total drainage area of 496 square miles.
Owned and operated by East Branch Improvement Company and managed for
hydroelectric storage in the Penobscot River system.
of Matagamon Dam was transferred to Matagamon Lake Association, formed in
January 2001, for the expressed purpose of maintaining the structure for the
benefit of fisheries, wildlife, recreational values and downstream safety
(flood control). The operation of Matagamon Dam is essential to the
cold-water ecosystem; supporting a high quality sport fishery in the East
Branch system. Regulating the flows in the East Branch have been critical to
the rehabilitation of the wild brook trout , landlocked and Atlantic salmon.
Stable, regulated water levels in the lake are necessary for a self
sustaining lake trout population, and maintaining waterfowl nursery.
Currently we have representatives from Maine
Department if Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, the Maine Atlantic Salmon
Commission, the Penobscot Indian Nation and six camp owners on our board of
directors. A technical advisory committee with representatives of these same
entities, has been established to advise the board on water levels and flows
in relation to the above goals.
We Need Help!!!!!
To operate and control this dam, we will incur considerable
expenses, and would appeal to groups and individuals to join
our Association, and or make donations to our 501-c3 non-profit corporation
to help in our endeavor.
To contact the Association e-mail:
email@example.com or write to: Matagamon Lake Association,
Inc. P.O. Box 676, Patten, Maine 04765